Thursday 18 June 2009

It feels good to do something good

Hello. I gave blood tonight...and I feel good about it. I know that's terribly cliched; do a good deed and feel all proud etc, but really, I do feel good. I don't know what the statistics are but I know that thanks to the 15-20 people that I saw pass through the clinic tonight, including me, a few more unlucky people might be ok , or even live instead of die.

Ok, so it was a long wait, and ok, it was slightly annoying that I had two people double and triple check the manual to see if my meningitis four years ago affected my eligibility to donate. Yes, it was painful when Patrick the grumpy but delightful old american man who took my blood put the needle in at the wrong angle and had to jiggle it around causing a cascade of lovely red liquid down my arm. Yes, it was weird that some strange lanky dutch boy was appearing to eye me up while lying on the stretcher bed next to me, watching the blood trickle out of my arm with a peculiar leer on his face.

It was even frustrating that the biscuits they made me eat to stop me fainting afterwards meant that I'll most likely go over my weight watchers points for today. All of these things were probably not what I'd usually include in my regular Thursday night, and some of them, especially the latter, WW related point, were a little inconvenient. That said, in order to help a few people out and blimey, maybe even save a few lives, it's got to be worth it really, hasn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment